Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Dreaded Grocery Store

I don't know if anyone actually likes grocery shopping. I know I don't I spend way too much time trying to find a specific item for a goofy recipe I want to try and end up walking in circles for a half-hour.

BUT, we all need to eat AND everyone should know by now that fast-food isn't the greatest option even though it may be convenient. So you find yourself at the grocery store...

WAIT. BACK UP. REWIND.

Before going to the grocery store is even an action, before you even get in your car to drive to Meijer or Whole Foods or Marianos or wherever you shop, STOP.

Have you planned your meals for the week?
Have you written up a grocery list on items you need?
Have you categorized your list by section?

If the answer to ANY of the above question is NO, then you better hold your horses and prepare yourself for the grocery store.


First off, plan your meals/recipes.
Average week = 5-6 dinners and 2-3 lunch recipes. (for Ryan and I)

Easy to prepare lunches include salads, wraps, chicken breast, chicken salad, turkey chilli, etc.
Once you know what 2-3 meals you want to bring to work for lunch for the week, write down the items you need for them.

A well rounded meal will contain a lean protein source, carbs, and some fats. Veggies are your besties and fruits are really tasty but don't overload on them, they're like that friend that is really cool for 5 minutes and then you get sick of them.

I categorize my grocery list into three sections:
Fresh
Refrigerated:
Other:

Fresh = veggies, fruits, herbs, etc.
Refrigerated = eggs, almond milk, 2% or skim cheese, etc.
Other= tortilla shells, spices, sauces, dressings, whatever else you could imagine.

I categorize it this way to prevent walking in circles and forgetting things (even though it is inevitable)

Break your recipe ingredients up into those three categories on your list and then move on to your next recipe. This really only takes 10-20 minutes if you have an arsenal of recipes or use the Yummly app as frequently as I do :-)

What to avoid at the grocery store: anything with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, more than 6 ingredients, frozen crap (toaster strudels, pizza rolls, frozen pizza, boneless buffalo wings, whatever else is in that god forsaken frozen section that is somehow labeled 'food')


Now you don't have to go crazy and cut out all your vices at once, but do it one item at a time. I still buy things with sugar in them, but I make sure that there's less than 10g of sugar per serving and only a few items I buy have sugar in them.

- I know I'm a psycho about reading labels and I will remain that way, READ THE LABEL. LOOK AT THE NUTRITION FACTS, If you want to know what exactly all that sh*t means on the back, ASK ME! I'd love to help.

- Keep your # of ingredients low on your foods. You don't need too much red #4 and sugardehydratedfatluctose (I made that up, but you get the point!)

- Buy as much FRESH as possible. Don't buy 12 tomatoes when you only need one, but buy more fresh ingredients than canned or boxed things. Fresh recipes are yummier anyways, FACT.

- Stick to lean meats, like ground turkey or chicken.

- Chicken sausage exists and it's AWESOME, just be careful of the added sugar

- I'm turning into an anti-sugar freak, I know. But I still like Reese's Pumpkins

- Use sales ads and store apps for coupons and discounts. I use MPerks through Meijer and save A LOT each trip.

- Once you stock up on seasonings, you're good for awhile. And I mean awhile. Don't buy the packet seasons, buy a bunch of the little plastic or glass jars of cumin, all spice,  cayenne, oregano, chilli powder, whatever. Make your own spices blends! IT'S EASY, I PROMISE. Homemade taco seasoning is a piece of cake and the packets of it have way too much sodium.

*Disclaimer, I like sweets. I like donuts. But I don't ever buy anything to have in the house because if it's not readily there I won't eat it.*

If you have any questions about ANYTHING, email me! >>>> sarahpinksfit@gmail.com

- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment