Friday, March 4, 2016

Life As a 20-something Who Does Not Enjoy Drinking or Staying Up Late

So, it's officially March! I leave for vacation in 11 days and today is Friday. Let's just say I'm in a good mood to say the least.

Today's topic came from reflecting on the past year of my life... SO wholesome of me, I know.

This past year has been a lot of ups and very few downs, which is AWESOME and I hope I didn't just jinx myself. So, Ryan and I will have our one-year coming up very soon and I have to give him a shout out because he's literally the best. Like you should all try to find your own Ryan because he's just that good and well-rounded. Props to you, Ry guy!

I decided to go back to school as well, I made 3 different 'decisions' and finally stuck with Nursing and tested into Lewis University's accelerated BAC to BSN program. At first I thought I wanted to be an EKG tech, and then a school counselor, and then I stumbled across Lewis' accelerated program so I decided that would be the best fit for me and I'm going to make myself do it.

Ryan taught me how to fish and I totally fell in love with it. I could literally spend all day outside fishing. Ryan and I binge watched True Detective all summer, then moved on to Making a Murderer when that came out. (We're not good at watching TV) I ate a lot of steak, which I love to do. I fell in love with Lululemon. I turned 24 and went to Nashville. I love spending weekends at the lake in Wisconsin, it's SO relaxing. I love leaving my phone in the house and going out on the water ALL day. Ryan and I spent the holidays (and his b-day) together, and then came the New Year.

This year I have more goals, I want to begin bow hunting because I am SO deeply interest in it and think it would be a good hobby for me. Not to mention Ryan began last year and I want to get my hands dirty with it too! I want to excel in my pre-reqs and make my pre-term this fall my little b*tch (sorry for the vulgarity) Being 24 and going back to school has me more focused than the first time around, which is also why I chose Nursing.

Then comes me as a person, over the past year I have gotten rid of a lot of unhealthy habits and developed healthier ones. Sure, it makes me seem like a 80 year old hermit, but I thoroughly love my life and everything/one in it. I have a healthy relationship with my parents and siblings, I still hang out with my friends (when I feel like it, so shout out to you all who put up with me leaving early or not showing up at all), and Ryan and I are like two peas in a muscly pod. Work is going well and I love my team, we're productive, enthusiastic, and fun. I have finally 'FOUND' myself. I enjoy what I'm doing, I have goals, I am productive, and I'm well rested.

I don't feel the need to submerge myself in 20-something culture that involves binge drinking and late nights. I don't feel the need to eat pizza every week (even though I kind of wish I could), and I would rather 'miss out' than wake up hungover on Saturday or Sunday. I have realized 'missing out' doesn't mean much because it's the same shit on a different night. That's the issue I have with the culture that surrounds my age-range. Sure, I love wine and craft beer as much as the next chick but my goals and lifestyle don't revolve around it or include it very often. That is my choice, that is how I have chosen to live my life. To me, there's more to life than hangovers and pizza.

I still enjoy myself here and there and go out with my friends, but you won't find me out on Friday/Saturday nights every week. Hell, you're lucky to get me out once a month. That's my choice and I am MORE than happy with it. Sure, it can get lonely, but I'm lucky I have Ryan to hermit with me. It's not anti-social, it's just my idea of 'social' doesn't necessarily have to do with going out to a bar with super loud, shitty music to 'hang out' every weekend.

Some people might genuinely like doing that (or think they do...) and that's fine by me! I don't judge you and you shouldn't judge me. I have become a more well-rounded person in this past year and I wouldn't have it any other way. I may wear sweatpants more than skinny jeans and I may not be able to stay up past 9pm on a Friday, but that's me and what I like to do.

I enjoy being productive on my weekends and getting sh*t done that I can't get to during the week. I love relaxing on the couch with ONE glass of wine and watch some GoT or Law and Order. I like to grocery shop and meal prep, I like hitting the gym early on the weekends so I can avoid the tool-bags and late nighters that roll in around 10-11am.

I may be the only 24 year old like this, I may not be. But this is who I am, watch how it will shape me. I plan on being successful and this is how I will achieve it.

- xoxo Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment